Monday, June 16, 2008

Sausage and Summer Squash

Here's a recipe from this month's Better Homes and Gardens that I thought looked fast and easy, for the busy summer days.

Sausage and Summer Squash

1/3 to 1/2 c. bottled Italian salad dressing
2 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz. cooked Polish sausage links- halved lengthwise, sliced diagonally
3 small yellow summer squash and or zucchini, quartered lengthwise
4 wedges Italian flat bread, split
1/4 c. sliced green onions
Fresh oregano leaves
1/4 c. coarsely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Preheat broiler. In small bowl, combine dressing and garlic. In extra-large skillet cook sausage and squash in 2 tablespoons of the dressing mixture for 8-10 minutes or until sausage is heated through ans squash is almost tender, stirring occasionally.

2. Meanwhile, place bread on broiler pan; brush with 1 tablespoon of the dressing mixture. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until lightly toasted.

3. Serve sausage and squash with toasted bread. Drizzle remaining dressing; sprinkle green onions and oregano. Pass Parmesan cheese. Serves 4.


--Abi

3 comments:

abi said...

Ok this was pretty yummy. It smelled good, but once I added the green onions and cheese at serving, it smelled soooo delicious. I used dried basil at the end of cooking, because I didn't have fresh. I hope everyone enjoys it, we will be making this again!

Kristy said...

This was pretty good. I like that it's fast to make and not too complicated. I think next time I would use one more zucchini and cut back on the sausage a bit. It was little too hot doggy for me, although Spencer loved that aspect. I'm still not sure exactly what Italian flat bread is. Is that like a pita bread or a loaf bread?

Kami said...

This was an easy meal and Curtis liked it! I used a little less sausage and yellow squash and zucchini. The bread, well I had a little catastrophe with that. We will try again another day. I didn't use the garlic or onions, cause I don't really care for them. Thanks, Abi! It was great!